Preventative Foodservice Equipment Maintenance
Preventative foodservice equipment maintenance will help your equipment function more efficiently, but ignoring daily cleaning and periodic inspections of your equipment may result in poor performance or a very costly repair bill. The experts at Dine Company can assist you with free advice and the best products needed to keep your equipment in tip-top shape. Whether your equipment is 10 years old or still under warranty, preventative maintenance will extend its life and performance. Keep your equipment running efficiently with the following tips –
Refrigerators, Freezers and Ice Machines:
- Check temperature daily. Fluctuation could be a sign of a more serious problem.
- Make sure door gaskets fit snuggly and are mold and debris free.
- Examine the condenser coil, make sure it is clean and free from dust and debris.
- Change the ice machine filter at manufacturer recommended schedules.
- Be mindful of dump and recovery time, this process should run consistently.
- Filter the oil, filter the oil, filter the oil!
- Use high temp fryer brushes to clean inside the fryer and clear the drain hole.
- Boil out the fryer tank weekly.
- Use an adapter bar between two fryers to reduce debris and oil between fryers.
- Use degreaser and green scrubbies to clean the outside of fryers.
- Lube the slided regularly with food grade lube. Never use vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Sharpen the blade on a regular basis.
- Clean and sanitize a slicer at least once every four hours to not only keep it running smoothly, but also to prevent the growth of potentially harmful bacteria. Read our page containing slicer cleaning information from the FDA.
Flat Tops or Griddles:
- Use a grill brick to remove debris and to smooth the cooking surface.
- Use a good, sharp grill scraper to knock down stubborn stuck food.
- Never use ice to clean a hot grill top, it WILL eventually crack the plate!
- After a thorough cleaning, lightly coat the cooled surface with oil.
- Calibrate thermostats every 6 months.
- Monitor temperature and document fluctuations.
- Keep interior fan free and clear from debris, especially aluminum foil!
- Keep interior and doors free from debris, clean rack rails daily.
- Keep pans away from flue area.
- Use oven cleaner and degreaser on all equipment surfaces once weekly.
- Use a delimer regularly. Follow manufacturer directions for using this chemical.
- Inspect all spray nozzles, faucets and drains daily.
- Check washing and sanitizing temps several times daily.
- Use a scrap block on your soiled side dishtable to prevent plates from chipping and breaking.
- Check your grease trap for leaks and flow and use microbial drain and trap cleaner weekly.